RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by onehandman
well I was only thinking carbon because there seems to be such a great push towards them. Sometimes I just want to step back is the cost really worth it? Will I notice the different in a 1500.00 carbon wheel vs. a high end aluminum?
When I had my first set of custom wheels built, I called a reputable builder with a simple goal: 1500g 23mm aluminum clinchers for $500. I ended up with Campagnolo Record hubs, Velocity A23 rims, and Race (or Competition) spokes. IIRC, it was 1530g for $520. So you could say I missed both goals, but the design process was a ball, and I loved the wheels. They were a very nice improvement over the previous wheels I had owned (Specialized S500, Easton EA50 Aeros, and some BWW retro wheels), and they have been the least maintenance of anything I have owned. Since getting them, I have used the same builder multiple times, and have always been incredibly pleased.

I have never owned carbon, so I can't say if it is worth it. I have steered several non-BFers who were looking at carbon to Boyd Vitesse's, and have never heard a complaint from those that went that way (Vitesse is an aluminum clincher, used to be narrower, now the wider rim (actually now out of production)).