View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 06:18 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 81 Posts
The bike is most likely a Mirage, the next higher model than the Nomad, and as far as I can tell, by far the Motobecane model sold in the US during the 'bike boom' of the 70s. This one is a 'mixte' with the split sloping top tube. Mixtes are very popular as they look nice and are easy to swing a leg over. They're often thought of as a woman's bike but fellas ride them too.

The wheels look to be dull silver, suggesting they are alloy rather than the chromed steel on a cheaper model. The stem shifters are Suntour 'Power Ratchet,' which I think date from the late 70s on. That means the other shifting hardware is Suntour, which is a good thing. Motobecane was quick to recognize the value in putting Japanese components on their bikes.

It's hard to tell from one photo, but at a glance the condition looks good: complete, clean, etc. *Assuming condition is good* $200 would be 'full retail' price in any but the hottest markets.

- Dr Samuel Johnson