Old 02-18-14, 06:36 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
teaching very basic bike maintenance skills class

I live in a very large rv resort this winter. I usually ride bike in the morning and some afternoons I fiddle around with our fleet of bikes. Neighbors see me and my spouse brags about how I take care of our bikes. So, people ask for help. I have pumped untold numbers of nearly flat tires. I have helped people change tires. My socket wrench has the number 15 head on it at the ready as most don't even have quick release wheels. When I pump tires I check chains and they all have been bone dry. So I lube them up. I have also done more significant work on a few people's bikes, bikes that otherwise likely would end up in the trash. Walmart bikes and Camping World folders abound.

So, I am thinking of doing a class at the RV park on some simple bike maintenance skills. Like how to change a flat. Like how much air to put in a tire (no one has known that just like car tires it says on the side of the tire). Like how to put sealant in a tire (if that is what you want to do to help with the thorn flats prevalent here). Like how to clean and lube a chain. Maybe some other things like "do your brakes work?"

Any thoughts on what might be good things to go over? This is for people who are mostly in their 70s, who like to ride around the park for a mile to maybe 10 miles in a shot.

I know I am an amateur but man, people really don't know anything about their bikes, how they work and what they need to do to keep them rolling along. Comments and thoughts would be appreciated.