Old 10-05-05, 04:22 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Entry level/low cost track bikes - and getting started

Ok, so learning that I have a velodrome less than 10 miles away, I've decided to go down and give one of their taster sessions a try. This has got me thinking though, if I love it, can I afford to get involved? So, a few questions. I guess what I'm looking for is an idea of the level of commitment necessary to dip my toe further than a couple of tasters.

1) Bikes

What are the options in low cost bikes in the UK. I know the Pista isn't available here, but the low end Fuji is. Is it any good? Are there other similarly priced bikes in the UK? I figure that for quite some time, the thing that'll stop me being competitive will be my fitness and technique, rather than the bike, which suggests that springing £250 on a low end bike to start off will probably do no harm. Am I missing something, is there something apalling about these low end bikes? Is the BB gonna fail on me if I ride it six times? Or would I be better off looking for a used, but higher quality older track bike on Ebay?

2) Pedals

I see the Fuji comes with clips and straps. That's what I'm used to (I'm old skool!). Is there any major reason to go clipless, or will I be cool with the clips and straps?

3) Other purchases

What else does a track rider need, at a basic level? Some type of fancy clothes etc?

4) Regularity of riding

I doubt I'm going to be going down there every single week. How does track competition work? Can you turn up and race every couple of weeks, when you've got the free time, or is it all or nothing?

Looking forward to your responses already......