Old 02-24-14, 10:09 PM
chummels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PHXroadie
C, heal up soon. And like I advised after the crit...Tegaderm for that road rash. [I was in the black kit and white/blue Cervelo - we actually talked a bit after the road race about the U of A].

I was in the same race as C, and while I didn't see the crash I can attest to the fact that there were a lot of inexperienced guys doing their very first crit and a lot of sketchy riding. I fell off the back of the group and didn't have the power to catch up as a result of one guy coming WAY off of his line and nearly taking out the whole field.

C's situation is tough to swallow - and hard to offer advice on - because it's entirely possible that he did everything right, but got taken down because another rider wasn't racing right. I know that can happen in any category, but we have a higher concentration of nervous, inexperienced riders in ours who jump or overreact to the slightest bump or contact.

I do an informal crit here in PHX most Tuesday nights. I beg the more experienced guys to point out any mistakes or sketchy riding that *I* do so that I don't put myself or others in danger. If there is something like that in Tucson, perhaps you could try that. Best of luck.
Thanks for the post and the perspective. Yes, I remember chatting with you after the RR. I'm sorry to hear you fell off the back, but it's good you avoided any crashes! I've been doing some informal crits in Tucson at the Biopark the last few months, which seemed to help me in handling, but I guess I just need more practice at taking hits. Take care!