Old 02-26-14, 07:29 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Claggart
As a cyclist with a concealed handgun permit (and who rides while carrying), I find this very offensive.
You don't draw a firearm simply because someone "messes" with you or angers you.
YOU don't. A quick glance at the news indicates that SOME gun owners shoot for any reason or no reason. Remember the cyclist a year or two back who was shot in the helmet by an off-duty firefighter (IIRC) because he was riding with his daughter on the bike and apparently that nutjob decided that shooting at the cyclist with the daughter on the bike was a good way to teach him a lesson about how dangerous things were.

I think it's a good idea to avoid pissing people off in general, but it's undeniable that some people become violent, including people carrying firearms. Having the knowledge that someone might be carrying couldn't hurt. I don't think it's practical to do any of this though.

And as a reminder, when a driver intentionally tries to run someone over, it is assault with a deadly weapon, with intent to kill or inflict serious bodily harm. Don't believe me? Try running over a cop, and see what charges get applied if you survive the experience.
Sure, if you run over a COP. Now get run over as a normal every day cyclist, and see if the cops will support the charge of assault with a deadly weapon or not. Unless there is proof that you were maliciously attempting to kill the cyclist, they will probably charge him with a traffic offense and fine him $200.

Maybe more cyclists who carry cameras and carry concealed would help keep the drivers honest?
Well, I'm riding with the camera. I am not opposed to firearms but I don't imagine in my area I'll ever need one, and I hate carrying extra junk around anyway, a half pound hunk of steel that I'll probably never use isn't something I care to hump around all the time.