Old 02-26-14, 11:13 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Silly question, but I was wondering, if I've been riding my bike indoors all winter, is there any reason to clean/lubricate it periodically? Clearly, I'm not very knowledgable on the workings of lubrication and the rate at which it wears off.

p.s. I know sweat can be a factor, but actually it turns out I don't sweat onto the chain and such really. Don't know if that's a consideration here.
OF course the chain wants lubrication. Do you think a chain knows or cares whether it's used indoors or out?

On the bright side, since dirt and weather aren't an issue, you can use any oil and wipe off the excess so it doesn't spatter. Even with the best oil your chain will still need relubrication at intervals. In machinery chain drives get lubricated constantly by drip systems that put a few drops on the chain every hour or so. You can't and shouldn't do that, nut neglect will increase wear indoors the same way as outdoors.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.