Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ps249
A hybrid is a real road bike. With a hybrid you can sit in a more upright position and take in the scenery- unlike a roadie staring at the pavement. I was a mountain biker for 16 years until I moved up to a hybrid back in 2009. A hybrid makes it easier for mountain bikers to move into a road type bike. After 16 years of mountain biking- I was realizing that I was riding the bike more on the rail trails so I decided a hybrid was for me. I do not miss mountain biking at all. I notice I am buying more tires and tubes with a hybrid, however.
Most bicycles get ridden on the road so by that definition, they are all road bikes but in the business of cycling the term road bike is pretty much synonymous with racing bicycles or higher performance machines.

When people say, "I ride a road bike" this does not come to mind and no-one should confuse it with a mountain bike although it handles the road rather well and does not mind when things get a little bumpy.

The term "hybrid" used to define bikes like this and now it seems to have gone the way of mountain bikes where there are many sub genres like all mountain, cross country, and downhill just as road cyclists seem to hold a much narrower view of what a road bike is.

If my friends call me up and ask if I want to go on a road ride I would not bring the BRC... but I might bring my XC bike or folder just to mess with them.