View Single Post
Old 03-01-14, 07:14 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzgeek79
Probably twice a week the first month. I can't exactly remember, but it was something like that. I just remember a few months a ago I was researching lacing because the saddle was getting uncomfortable, and reading several posts stating that leather saddles should be treated approximately once a year, and not to do anything special to break them in and then thinking 'uh oh'.

I think at the time the leather seemed so tough and hard it seemed impossible that it would form to my shape without help. I know better now. After tightening the laces and increasing tension from the bolt, the saddle feels better. I'm gonna tighten it a bit today and ride for 15-20 Miles. If the shape holds up or improves with increased tension, which frankly I'm skeptical of, I'll use the saddle for a while longer. If it quickly reverts then it is time to choose a new saddle. While I recognize my role in what happened, if I get a new b-17 it will be a special, and I will by a cover. If I go the VO model 3, route which is a LOT cheaper than a b-17 special, I would still go with a cover for rainy days,
I think the best way to break-in a brooks saddle is to just ride it. Proofhide is used to protect the saddle. I normally break-in the saddle on my trainer and on training rides. I put about 600 miles on the saddle in 20 mile rides, prior to my tour with it. I like the Brooks Pro's they feel more like a Concor saddle (these are from the 80's) and it has a bit thicker leather than the B-17.