Old 03-04-14, 10:15 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by echo victor
I sort of share the perspective of @mongol777 and a few others. I generally would only try to buy a bike that I'm actually interested in riding... often because it's a model I've read good things about here. And it does get frustrating when someone else gets to it first and gets a good deal on it because I can't make it to the seller until after I'm done with work... and then the bike shows up back on CL for what is no longer a good price.
I am totally with you - when I look back at all the bikes which went through my hands:
- Has to be the bike I really like and want to try out (even if size is not quite right)
- When I later rebuild it and/or refurbish for sale - I know how it rides, I can tell potential next owner cons and pros from my perspective and I generally put a lot of effort to try and make it nicer (one of my last acquisitions, Miyata 100 is case in point - great ride, handling and frame is superb, very nice ride. My buddy wanted drivetrain so he got and I built it up as FG, really nice FG - Ritchey wheelset with sealed bearing, screaming orange pedals, tires and grips. It came out so nice that everytime I come down to garage I can't stop looking at it and have serious second thoughts on just hanging on to it. Event original crankset worked out real nice - chainrings are stainless steel and very round plus big ring is hidden behind built in chainguard, makes for very clean airy look)
- If I get greedy and just get the bike for pure resale - I am not very passionate about selling it and it shows (somehow pictures don't come out right, I may try and save by installing cheaper grips, whatever pedals I have laying around, etc - just can't bring myself to spend time and effort). Luckily I get less and less of those - pretty much zero since last summer.

And I am usually can go and get the bike on a short notice but work comes first always - I have to take of my customers (which sucks sometimes but I love my job and it pays the bills and lets me be picky about bikes I buy). Funny but I missed Ritchey not because of my job but because of my little brother - for whatever reasons he decided to throw his b-day party on Sun instead of usual Sat. And Sun was the day when stars aligned and I should have been on my way to get the Ritchey.