Old 03-05-14, 12:31 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Conventional wisdom has been that a pound on the wheels = 2 pounds on the frame. I've often wondered about that, because physics suggests this is not the case.

Wheels are different from a frame in that their energy is composed of both forward momentum and angular momentum. Thus a heavier wheelset will cause a bike to accelerate more slowly than the same additional weight on the frame.

Many people climb standing or with a strong downstroke instead of pedaling circles. In these cases, the bike is accelerated with every pedal stroke. Physics says that you get the energy spent performing this acceleration back during the deceleration phase. However, everyone knows that a lighter bike with lighter wheels feels easier on a climb, more so than losing the same weight off one's body. Hence the desire for lighter equipment.

My guess is that the higher momentary energy output required of the leg muscles to accelerate the heavier wheels is not returned completely during deceleration. IOW, the peaks and valleys of muscular output are more pronounced. That makes one tired.

New tandem captains who are experienced single riders can be blown away by this. One can produce the same power or ride at the same HR as normal, yet be more exhausted in one hour on a tandem than one was by 2 hours at the same apparent effort on one's single. I think it's because the heavier bike resists momentary accelerations and thus places higher momentary loads on the leg muscles. A new captain eventually adapts to this and learns to pedal and apply power more smoothly, but the adaptation can take a long time.
when a heavy wheel is being ridden at a non steady state
like when standing to climb
the amount of extra exhertion required due to increased angular momentum
is minimal
most likely imperceptible

the only reason i can think of for a delta between the heavier wheel requiring more energy to accelerate
than the amount lost in deceleration
would be the fact that the drivetrain responsible for transfering leg energy into rotational energu
is not 100% efficient

otherwise
the extra energy required compared to a lighter wheel
is exactly equal to the difference in deceleration between the light and heavy wheel