Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by zazenzach
well looks like i commented too soon. i ended up tracking down your comment here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-of-1987/page2

it seems like we may never really know what exactly tenax was.
We do now.

Originally Posted by E-mail exchange between Scooper and Columbus Tubi
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Stan Cooper
Inviato: marted́ 4 marzo 2014 07:32
A: info@columbustubi.com
Oggetto: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear folks at Columbus Tubi,

If possible, I would like to obtain information about Columbus tubing labeled "Tenax", and used by Schwinn Bicycle Company from the mid 1980s through the early 1990s.

While tubing descriptions and specifications are widely available for most Columbus tube sets, information about the Tenax tubing used by Schwinn is mysteriously absent.

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

Sincerely yours,

Stan Cooper
San Francisco, California

-----Message Reply-----
Date: March 5, 2014 12:07am
To: Stan Cooper
Subject: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear Stan,
The Tenax was the tube-set made during the middle '80, those were actually the 3 main tubes, made like the cromor tubes in seamed 25CrMo4, and double butted.

Good result in term of stiffness but was not one of the light tubeset line.

Thanks and best regards,
Andrea
COLUMBUS
Between the description of Tenax as Cromor on the Nova website and this definitive reply from Columbus, it's pretty clear "Tenax" is 25 CrMo 4 seamed, double-butted chromoly similar to Cromor for the three main frame tubes. Because of the 26.6mm seatposts used on Tenax frames, it's also a pretty good guess that the seat tube is straight gauge with 0.9mm walls.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.