Old 03-05-14, 02:26 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
As far as I can tell, all of the assertions that Tenax was really SL/SP originated with the Bicycling article on the then-new '87 Prelude.

I even bought into it for a while.

LoL did you know you and I have discussed Tenax way more than once now? I was doing some digging since this one always fascinates me, and in my Premis thread I found a post of yours mentioning:

The 88 catalog refers to Tenax as seamless, For 88 Tempo, Premis and Prelude are all listed as seamless and double butted.

Now I took the liberty of course of checking 87, double butted chrome-moly no mention of seamless.

So I decided it might be worth hunting through the trfindley scans database a bit more:

86: We have the Tempo, Madison, Super Sport, Prelude. Double butted, no seamless mention. 26.6 seatposts.

For 85: Tenax models were Super Sport, Competition, Voyageur, Le Tour Luxe,Super Le Tour, Voyageur, Passage. Double butted, no mention of seamless and the universal 26.6 seatpost.

No sign of Tenax in the 84 lightweights catalog scans.

So now going the other direction things stay interesting..

89: Tenax models: Tempo, Prelude, Voyageur. Double butted and seamless again. Also very interesting, the seat posts evolved to 27.2 for this year.

Now if I had been smart I would have also been noting the bike weights.. but it does seem that Tenax did evolve.. perhaps it began life as Cromor twin and slowly became similar to SL/SP?

It'd be really fun to get some bare frame weights on same sized same geometry tenax bikes from 85-89 and do some comparisons there.