View Single Post
Old 03-06-14, 07:07 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
So from what I can tell the Longboards are longer then "other" SKS fenders, and better protection. Are there other differences? This sounds like a good thing - any reason NOT to get a longboard or similar longer fender?
The P-series Longboards are longer in the front and both ends have a mudflap.

Originally Posted by mstraus
TSL, why did you just get P35s Longboards instead of P45s? What size tire are you using. Is there a disadvantage to a wider fender wiht a narrower tire? I haven't really decided what size tire I want to use, 28 or something larger, and may set it up with larger in winter and smaller the rest of the year, not sure. Trying to understand how this should impact my fender choice.
My choice is purely aesthetic. I use the P45s on the Portland with the studded snow tires. I use the P35s on both the Portland and the Ribble with 28mm tires. I just think a skinny tire under a fat fender looks weird. On the Portland, I don't mind changing the fenders when I change the tires. It's only twice a year.

I'm also one of the few who like the silver fenders better than the black. The black ones show all the dirt, especially the salt in winter.