View Single Post
Old 10-06-05, 08:11 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Of course, Don. Don't get me wrong, I have had crappy bikes, I have a good vintage bike now, I've owned a good brand new bike. I know better ones are better, and though I've never had one made for me, I can well imagine that it might be better still. It did seem to me, however, that you were making the bike into a larger part of the equation than it was.

Imagine, if you will, a situation where there are two guys building wonderful, awesome, track bikes. One or other of their bikes wins every race, and there's pretty much nothing to choose between them. One of these guys spends a lot of time trumpeting about how awesome his bikes are, citing at length things that prove what a cool guy he is, making comments like "I bet whatever bike I made you would be faster than anything you had ever ridden before...put me to the test!". The other one quietly goes about his business, does what he does, is helpful to people, and lets the bikes and the results do the talking. People are going to percieve those two guys differently, aren't they, even though there might be nothing to choose between what they do?

The long and short of what I'm saying here is that I found myself WANTING to pick holes in what you were saying, to the stage that I did so even though it was a pretty weak point. That's no kudos to me whatsoever, but it might give you an idea of what lots of 'tude can inspire in potential customers. I love custom bikes, I aspire to one day have one made for me, and there are a number of places I might go for that. I can safely say that you aren't one of them, and I've not even bothered to look at your site. So it might not be a good thing for business.......