Old 03-11-14, 11:03 PM
jau0321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
So what do you have now? Frame, frame and fork, any additional parts? Without parts at your disposal, buying everything new, it will indeed be very expensive and still probably not that great of a bike.

Some of the MAJOR expenses, if you want to use decent parts:
- Fork
- Crankset
- Shifters
- Wheelset
- Brakes, if they're disc.

Then add in all the little stuff like headset, spacers, stem, bars, grips, seatpost, seatpost collar, saddle, cables/housing, FD, RD, chain, cassette, tires, tubes, pedals, and you've got a small fortune stuck into an old FSR.

You can get the same rewarding learning experience buying a complete used bike and tearing it down and rebuilding it. Then at least you have all the parts. Anytime I get a bike I'm going to use for myself now it gets torn down to the bare frame, cleaned, and rebuilt properly. Part of it is OCD and the other part is that virtually every bike I come across needs this service done.
I know what you mean and the gentleman at my local store said the same, new parts would run easily at 1-1,500 and that it wasn't worth it, to might as well purchase a new one, yet I don't want to spend that much on a bike.. I need to basically get everything you listed lol so that was my thought on getting a deal or bike similar to mine in age or newer to try and swap out the frame or just keep that bike intact if its a better bike and frame overall... I just liked this frame design, color, and being OCD also being able to clean and rebuild.