View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 08:19 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I have some worn out mavic cxp 33 rims that I need to replace on a campy chorus wheelset. I've been thinking of going with the kinlin rims to replace them because they seem to be the only ones to offer 36 holes (unless you go direct to taiwan to get the archetypes and then pay the $$ shipping). Not sure the 25-50 grams/rim will make that much difference given that bike+rider weight is in the 210-215 pound range even though I do live amongst a fair bit of hills. Do either of them cause much difficulty mounting tires that I'd want thin tape or veloplugs instead of my usual velox? I've been considering the veloplugs option anyway just to try something different.
I think the weight difference will be closer to 25g than 50. And for me, at 175, is doesn't matter. I actually have a wheelset with the Kinlins and one with A23 (~450g each) with other wise similar builds so a very good comparison.

I started out with Veloplugs in my Kinlins but they actually didn't stay in too well (they were the red as recommended by BHS). I was always worried one would fall out so I ran a strip of scotch tape around to hold them. But at some point I just went back to cloth tape. I mount Conti and Michelin tires on them without to much trouble. If they are new tires there might be some sweat and cursing involved but after they have been on for a bit it's fine.