Old 03-14-14, 08:18 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
This is pretty obvious and I'm almost certain it's not your problem, but if you thread the nips too far onto the spokes when installing the spokes it makes it progressively harder to get the subsequent nips started. It depends on the pattern as in some cases the spokes are quite bowed before tensioning and are effectively shorter until tensioned.
^^^^ This. It is very common to thread the spoke too deep into the nipple during the initial lacing and make it harder to finish up the last of the spokes. Especially on a rear it is common to have a whole side improperly dished during the initial lacing and make it really hard for the other side spokes to reach. This happens a lot with one side radial. But with both sides crossed, if you did all the spokes on both sides pointing one direction first (as is normal), and threaded them too deep into the nipples, when you twist the hub to start the spoke going in the other direction, the hub won't rotate far enough. Just try loosening all your nipples as far as possible without unthreading them completely. If that helps, then the only thing to watch out for is that your spoke end nearly do reach the nipple tops when the wheel is fully tensioned and trued. If that is the case, the spoke lengths were right. You don't want the spokes to end below the nipple shoulders.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...