View Single Post
Old 03-14-14, 09:39 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tromper
Sure Hummer. . . .
Tromper,

Great pictures, thanks. The center seatpost decal says "Custom FIVE" which I believe is the model name and the head badge says Nishiki and there is an American Eagle Decal. This is consistent with the other Custom FIVE bikes that I have seen.

Your bike has the lowest serial number that I have seen for a bicycle with an American Eagle decal and Nishiki Headbadge.

From my readings, the "American Eagle" brand name changed to "NISHIKI" sometime in 1972. The model names and decal layout on the frames stayed roughly the same. The main differences were the headbadge name and the American Eagle Decal on the bottom of the seat tube.

I estimate that about one year after the brand name change, there was a change in most of the model names and a change in the decal layout on the Nishiki bicycles. The model name and Nishiki logo where both put on the down tube. The Nishiki brand name was in a bamboo font, if you will.

The "Custom FIVE" model became the "Super 5" model.

I know you said your bike was a Super 5, how did you come to call your bike a Super 5? Just curious.

As for powder coating, I am very conservative about that. I personally would not do it, but you can be creative. I don't know how to copy or preserve the decals. I find the decals a charming part of old bicycles, no matter how out of place they seem in the current day.