View Single Post
Old 03-17-14, 01:45 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 861 Posts
If the bus ran door to door, every ten minutes, a lot of people would still not use it. There is a stigma to being on the bus, and it puts you in close contact with a 'different' slice of humanity. I don't know how you could ever solve these problems.

The most frustrating issue to me on my local line is that being allowed to bring your bike along is 50/50. If the rack is full (often is), then the driver has discretion to allow you to carry the bike into the bus (which is not hard). So, you might wait for the bus only to be shot down.

Another big hassle is transfers, which are sometimes required for us even though we stay on one route. If the first bus is more than five minutes late, the second leaves without you. This may mean a wait of an hour most days, or THREE HOURS on a Saturday for the next bus! The drivers will not even tell you this is happening--enjoy your unscheduled, unannounced stay at city hall, folks.