Thread: Erie Canal Tour
View Single Post
Old 03-18-14, 07:10 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
All of you must be much more tolerant to limestone dust than I am, as I have done the sections from Port Byron to Rome and end up plastered in white dust. Water bottles. Clothes. Chain. Everything. I also have found doing these sections on anything smaller than 28's to take so much concentration that it lessens the pleasant.

This is not saying not to do it, only to prepare to be chalked.
I didn't notice the "chalk" that much and found the path from Rome to Syracuse to be nice, fast riding on 25mm tires. There were some sections with some mud and rubble, but nothing that lasted long enough for me to seriously wish for wider tires. I often chose to ride the canal path over the road alternative as it was usually more protected from the prevailing wind.

The best value meal for me was at Dunn's Pastry shop in Canastota; pizza, an eclair, a Mountain Dew and coffee for $4.02 and the drinks each came with a free bag of chips!

Last edited by nun; 03-18-14 at 07:14 AM.