View Single Post
Old 03-18-14, 07:22 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet
One is using panniers only; Ortlieb Front Roller Plus and Back Roller Plus and Ultimate 5 front bag.
One is using BOB trailer and Ortlieb Back Roller Plus on front and rear with Ultimate 5 front bag.
One is using BOB trailer with Ortlieb Front Roller Plus on rear only with Ultimate 5 front bag.
Ultralight touring isn't for everyone, but going with enough gear to require panniers and a trailer is a very bad idea, in my opinion at least. I could maybe see it in very special cases like someone touring between rock climbing destinations or between gigs with his or her cello. If all you have is camping and cooking gear and your other necessary items either a trailer or panniers will not only allow you to pack your gear but to pack way too much gear.

Even those tourists I have met who were on very long tours and who packed really heavy were able to get by with one or the other. I did have a warmshowers guest who had both panniers and a trailer fully loaded to the max and he was struggling badly and ready to ship a ton of stuff home after a single day. I don't know how he made out but he was clearly miserable and had caught a ride after the first 15 miles of his tour. The hills had caught him totally overloaded and unprepared.

There certainly are folks who are strong enough to manage with that amount of gear, but I am at a loss to understand why they would want to.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-18-14 at 07:29 AM.