View Single Post
Old 03-19-14, 12:25 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
She's hugging the curb so close that I can't imagine the man seeing her easily until she's pretty close. Furthermore, any kid would just throw open the door, so it's never wise to assume you can afford to be reckless even if you have the law on your side.
The cyclist has no choice but to hug the curb here.
The man didn't even try to look. He also (allegedly) ignored a warning from the driver (with mirrors and presumably knowledge of the new laws) not to do it.
Didn't your mother always ask you to check or look first? Child proof locks for the really young ones?

Actually, non-drivers wouldn't think to look at the sideview mirror for CYCLISTS. I would glance out before I open on the walkway side, but certainly not squint at the side mirrors or strain to look behind. If it was the driver's side, I would make certain no vehicles/cyclists are incoming.
Folks will learn and get into the habit. Attitudes to many things have changed over the years due to law changes etc.

Yes their attitude are definitely arrogant. However, I believe they owed her an apology for not helping regardless of who was at fault. The fact that they were dressed in suits simply made them all the more like heartless rich asses.
I bet all three of them are regretting being such knobs now. I'm sure they have had plenty of negative feedback directly due to the publicity.