View Single Post
Old 03-19-14, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
My last tour was about 150 bucks and that was a lot of spending I didn't really need to do. However like most have said things can vary. I would bank on at least a grand to go cross country so you have plenty of wiggle room or if you needed to treat yourself you could. However you could easily do it way cheaper but it is better to have the money available and not need it then well you know.

Dumster Diving is awesome though maybe less awesome on tour because if you find a sweet haul you might not be able to take it all and bring it with you. We found an entire case of dark chocolate at Trader Joes once and I have found many other great hauls that would have been a bummer to leave.

Warmshowers is also a great idea because you can get free places to stay and sometimes more out of it. Plus some gyms and other places have free showers and amenities.

Basically without making this overly long you can pretty much go free beyond initial expenses if you wanted to and there are a lot of great resources out there for this sort of stuff.

Zinelibrary.info has a lot of useful zines about touring and living cheaply, as well as various alt-radical stuff to keep you occupied.