View Single Post
Old 10-07-05, 08:34 AM
eddiebrannan

Bikes: DW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok no names, because i'm not trying to b!tch anyone out, but yesterday i went into a shop here in nyc to have my crankset and bb switched out, cause i don't have the correct bb tools. anyway i go to pick up the bike and the first bb is fuxored, chewed to pieces, to the point where i had to come back to my office and cancel an auction i had on ebay for the old crankset and bb, because basially i can't sell this to anybody, as tore up as it is.
the guy at the store, who's been cool with me last couple of times i've been in there (buying little stuff like grips, pedals, straps, a tracknut etc), told me it's because the Truvativ bbs have real soft metal on the flanges. well ok, i say fine and just swallow the loss of the extra $15 or so that i might have gotten for including the bb with the pedals. guy's like oh and hey the stand screwed up the tape on your bike too (my frame is all taped up). so what, it's just tape, but i'm kinda like, ok, now i'm glad i had it taped, and if the twisting on the tape is anything to go by then i understand why the BB flange has pieces of metal gouged out of it. anything else?
so i pay up, go outside, get on my bike and try to pedal off and grrzzzzzttttttt! make a half rotation of the pedals without the back wheel moving. bring the bike back in, and after looking at it for a few moments i see that the chain's sitting on the top of the chainring teeth and hadn't fully caught, hence the slippage. Now, i didn't specifically ask for a 1/8" chain when i came in (didn't even think to look at the chain i had), but i would expect a decent lbs not to thread a 3/32" chain onto a 1/8" chainring, even if the dumbass customer was dumbass enough not to notice or state that i needed one. haven't really had a good look at the teeth on the new chainring yet, because i just don't want to see, but i can't imagine that was any good for them.
in the end i just coughed for a new chain, thanked the guy and left. but later i was thinking about it and felt kinda pissed. this was the first time i took my bike there for mechanical work and i don't feel i got looked after right. even if i only spend $20 - $40 each time i go in there that's still dough, and i was planning to buy a wheelset off them next.
anyway whatever - could have just been an off day for dude/store, and this isn't hateration. just didn't make me feel so great is all.

Last edited by eddiebrannan; 10-07-05 at 09:37 AM.