View Single Post
Old 03-20-14, 05:29 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
We can all certainly understand this, but I wonder if anybody's ever really been sued for a negligent glue job (besides not gluing at all - which WOULD be negligent).
It was not a glue job but I do know of one specific case where a person tried to sue a company who made stems because their bar failed. The person over torqued the stem and their carbon bar failed because of it, even though the person who installed the stem (the same person trying to sue) failed to do it properly they still tried to sue a very reputable component manufacturer.

In short, people will try to sue for nearly anything even if they are clearly in the wrong so often times it is the best business move to play it safe. Most shops do not have much of a demand for tubulars anyways so they are often times not even well practiced even if they are a quality shop and the risk of rolling a tire off a rim outweighs the reward of making a few bucks gluing a tire on.

The other reason I know some shops charge a lot to do it, is they simply have no desire to mess with it, especially if it is a used rim and/or tire since even though it is not a hard job, it is a pain getting things really clean.