View Single Post
Old 03-21-14, 08:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by reptilezs
the adhesion properties of tape are not good. always let the glue cure and off gas for 24 hrs. mastik one or conti glues are the only ones that are worth using
I don't know what's currently sold, but there used to be tape with excellent adhesion. The tape was also nice in that it stayed tacky for months, making for fast mounting on the road, with the ability to ride immediately. The main reason that I and others preferred glue to tape, wasn't adhesion, but because the tape would often stick to the tire and get moved over or folded on itself when repositioning the tire. Once the tape shifted, it was a PIA to get things right again.

One thing that separates casual road riders from track and supported racers is the need to change tires in the field and riding immediately. That was a plus for tape. You could carry a roll, wind it on the rim, mount the tire and ride immediately. One maker even sold a tape with one sided backed with film. You taped the rim, mounted the tire, inflated to about 2atm, seated, then when all was right pulled out the film.

Otherwise, glue users like myself, need glue that stays tacky enough for a reliable field remount. The stuff I use, allowed about 2 tire changes before fresh glue was needed, so there wasn't a need to carry glue except for long multi-day tours.

BTW- I'm still curious about what Cycledogg meant by old skool 24/12/12

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.