Old 03-22-14, 09:44 AM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pedromj
What sound do you expect to hear to identify a chain as dry?

It is important specially for "dry" lubes. You can clearly know if a chain is dry in the outside, but it is hard to know if it is dry or lube in the inside.

In my case, after degreasing (or wiping out) and lubing, my chain is very quiet for 20-30 miles but then it turns to be more noisy. It does not squeak but sometimes I can hear (image) some isolated squeak. I do not know if it lasts more without turning to squeak because I wipe and lube it. Is this normal? Do chains turn to be more noisy after riding some miles with "fresh" lube?
It depends on your lubing technique, how clean the chain was to begin with, and which lube you use. Given the right technique, starting with a clean chain, and using Chain L, your chain should remain quiet for several hundred miles in dry conditions. Using bad technique and White Lightning wax lube, your chain should remain quiet for several hundred pedal strokes.