View Single Post
Old 03-23-14, 01:25 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
A week ago I did my first mountain ride this year - 174 km to Yamanakako via Rt35 to Tsuru, then Rt24 to Doshi. From the lake I headed down to Odawara, where I caught an express train back to Tokyo. The ride makes March the 19th consecutive month with a century ride.

At the higher elevations the ground was still snow covered but all the roads were passable, no problem, even at over 1000m.

I ate 15 bananas, some bread, yogurt and nikuman (Chinese-style steamed bun filled with minced meat). I met some middle aged Japanese road cyclists from Hachioji, one of them on a TT bike. They recognized my Tokyo Cycling Club jersey (probably from a podium picture of a more worthy member in a magazine). They were a little surprised that I wanted to cycle from Tokyo to Odawara on "kore?" ("that thing" - pointing to my Bike Friday folding bike).

I didn't really pay much attention to time vs. distance while riding, unlike in a brevet where I always need to stay under the cut off time. I enjoy long rides more without time pressure, but I put up with it in brevets because I also like riding with others and learning new routes and the time limit comes as part of the deal.

Strictly speaking it wasn't a training ride, but I needed to get a feel for what the temperatures may be like and what clothes would work. I wore Tim's new jacket in place of a winter jacket until about 10:00 and then again from about 15:00. It worked well on both 1000+ m passes near Yamanakako.

Plum blossoms:

Too much snow this winter:

Exit from the Rt24 tunnel to Doshi:

Fields around Doshi village:

Kagosaka pass:

Ashigara mountains:

Fuji sunset:

Selfie with new jacket and Fuji: