Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Hi Sportsfan266, great questions!
Originally Posted by sportsfan266
1. What do you guys use to lock your bikes? I have a cable lock right now but with a brand new $700 bike, I'm a little worried about how easy it would be to cut a cable lock. On the other hand a U-Lock might be heavy and I don't know if I want to carry it around (might have to though - just interested what you guys do)
There are one million answers to this question, and all of them correct. What FBinNY said is correct: Lock your bike up so that it is more difficult to steal than others, and the thieves will go to the others. I use two types of locks, a big thick Krypto U-lock and a big thick cable, because I think would-be thieves carry tools for the cable or tools for the U but not tools for both. I also have locks on bike racks all over town: my most frequent Walgreens, the convenience store, a couple other places. Not at work, though, because I bring The Black Knight inside.
2. Lights - on days that I have been riding, I've been getting in to work later and leaving later because the sun still isn't up early enough. Any advice about lights that people have? Do I need a front and rear light or will a reflector on the back work? Any advice about being visible right before sunrise would be great.
I'm a believer in light power. However, this is a debate that has gone on and on and on here with no clear winners lol! I have two lights on the front (a NiteRider 650 Lumina and a Cygolite Trion 1300, totaling about 2000 lumens). But before the flames come, I rarely ride full power, especially in the city. Out on a desert road, late at night, just me and the bugs, I use all 2000 lumens. In the city they both are on low, maybe 400(?) lumens, but not irritating to drivers if aimed correctly. During daylight hours the Niterider is on flash. On the rear, 3 blinkies - It depends on which scientist you believe as to whether you should let them blink or run them solid. If you search through lighting threads here, you will see a lot of opinions on lighting, and all are valid.
3. Tubes - been looking to find some spare tubes online - I have 700 x 28c tires. I see online 700 x 20/28 tubes and 700 x 28/36 tubes......which ones do I get?
I would think they would work the same, but am not certain . . .