Old 03-27-14, 07:38 AM
needmoreair
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StopDiegoStop
I just started racing this year and have 2 races under my Cat 5 belt.
I learned a TON of things in my 2 races and gradually getting the hang of doing crits.
In my last crit, I tried moving up the pack, going nearly OTF, middle and back of the pack, learning about the best lines to take in corners etc.

Anyway, one thing I noticed in my 2 races is that nobody ever succeeds in their attacks and nobody goes into a successful break.
In my next crit, I plan on launching an attack/s just to see how it is like.
Question is, in your experience, when is the best time to launch this that may be successful? Is it during a lull in the pace, before/during/after corners, on straightaways, during the last X laps?

The answer might be "it depends," but what signs are you looking for in the peloton, or any tips in general, if you want an attack to succeed?

When to attack? When you feel like your legs are about to fall off. EVERY successful break I've been in has been AFTER the fourth, fifth, tenth, etc. attack or AFTER the big money prime or AFTER a hard chase to bring in another break.

When everyone is dying is when they'll be most likely to set up and let a break go.

The problem, of course, is that you need to be a strong rider to be able to do that. And if you're not, you shouldn't be attacking anyway.