bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NEED HELP!!::: Repairing salvaged bike!

Hi all

I just picked up an abandoned norco roadie from who knows when...
I'm planning on fixing it up as a beater so that I can ride a bike places without constantly fearing for my bike. The bike's a double x 5 roadie, friction shifters, with platform pedals. This is as much about learning as it is about the bike!

A few questions:

1) the bike appears to have been a bit weathered - the frame is solid and rust free, but the handlebars show a bit of surface rust. Is it safe?

2) The bike's been a bit damp, the rear wheel clicks pretty loudly when when rolling. Do I need to worry about the bearings in the hub?

3) The front cog appears to be slightly bent.. can I repair it?

4) The front cogs and rear cassette are rusty, do I need to replace them?

5) The chain was rusted stuck, so I've already picked up a chain remover and a new chain.. I have yet to find out whether or not the bike actually shifts.

6) Finally, If everthing goes wrong I'm not opposed to converting it to a fixed gear, although it would require some clipless pedals. Regardless, I've been looking for a pair of shoes and clips that would allow me to walk around comfortably when I run errands...any ideas?

Is there anything else you recommend I look into for safety reasons?

And obviously, does anyone have a cheap source for anything that needs to be replaced?

Thanks!