Old 10-07-05, 06:49 PM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Well Ned, I noticed you live in my neck of the woods. So I can feel confident to let you know how the used bicycle market is here in the Los Angeles area. I purchased my final used bicycle 6 years ago. I find it harder to harder to find good, used bicycles in this area compared to just 10 years ago when you could walk in a store or look through the ads and pick up one for under $100. Why? The demand by new arrivals to the area as well as the inherent value of a bike (changing from a toy to serious transportation along with gas/petrol price inflating) made anything in a ridable with a handlebar, saddle, two wheels, and a frame more valuable. Plus I feel that people are hanging on to their used bikes longer or giving them to relatives and friends.
Folder Fanatic,

I agree it is harder to find cheap used bikes. I have bought several in the last 10 years and
past them on to friends or relative. I like the idea of checking the COLLEGE newspapers
for deals on used bikes. May would be a great month for that!

But don't let it discourage you from the used market. You will have to spend alot more time looking in thrift stores, classified ads-suggestion: The Pasadena Star News Bargain section-I found my last used bike there, college/universities newspapers and boards especially at semester's end, bike shops, bike clubs and the like. I would not use the internet services like Craig's list or Ebay (too much pontential trouble).
Yeh, Ebay sucks in my opinion. I don't like buying something I can't touch and feel
unless it is software that I have used previously. I checked out several deals on
Craigslist but wasn't satisfied with what I saw for the money. Then too, some
dude was selling a Huffy 12 speed Mtn. Bike for $20 but was getting all the respondents
to bid it up after the fact. I just told him no thanks with the head trips.

Now I prefer to purchase new bikes between $250-500 dollars at the LBS of my choice. I find that the lifetime tune-ups offered, choosing a steel (prefered) frame that fits, and advice on bicycle matters and other garentees offered take most of the risk out of selection of a bike. I would gladly purchase another used bike from $5 to $100 that's not stolen if I could find one. But I think those days are over at least here in an high demand area.
Local Bike Shops are the BOMB and salvation of Bike riders like me.
I have Bicycle Central right around the corner from my house, (formerly
a Schwinn dealership for 25 yrs.) and Sports Chalet which has a Bike Shop
AND repair right next to BC. I pay them what they are worth but once in
a while they throw in freebies. I can't tell you how many times they have
saved my butt as I don't like to do bike repairs myself for safety reasons.

Riding in the San Gabriel Valley is pretty car friendly if you don't mind
playing tag with giant SUVs on occasion. It is FAIRLY flat throughout,
west to east and yet a few rolling hills or worse for a heart pumping
experience once in a while. Then of course, the San Gabriel Mtns.
provide all the torture one could ask for if you want a challenge.

Ned Goudy
Glendora, CA USA