Old 03-27-14, 03:47 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How does one overcharge a LiIon battery? I wait for the LED to go from red to green. Is leaving it in with the green light sufficient to overcharge it?
As with most smart chargers, when the led goes from red to green the charging process is over. As long as nothing is wrong with the charger the battery will no longer be charging. Still, I only charge stuff ( mostly ) when I'm home. Chargers have been known to go up but usually when that happens it just means they will no longer charge.

A couple years ago I had a cheap Ultrafire WF(type) two bay single cell charger go up. I could smell the acrid smell of burnt plastic and decided to toss it. Last year my single cell ( 26650 ) charger went up in like fashion. This is one of the reasons why I always recommend using a charger with a surge protector. Now I just need to follow my own advise. In my area, voltage surges are pretty common place. I don't plug up any of my more expensive stuff without a surge protector.

Anyway Tom, I would take the batteries off the charger when done and then unplug the charger, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise the batteries should be fine once the light turns to green. Doesn't hurt to play it safe.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 03-27-14 at 03:50 PM.