Old 03-27-14, 04:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Economically: I no longer have to budget for random $500 repairs. (Other than the repairs, my car ownership as a light user cost about $50 a month for insurance, licensing, and fuel. The repairs were what broke the budget.)

Stress I: My bike always starts, and when it breaks, I can fix it myself. If the worst happened and someone were to steal it, I have more bikes.

Stress II: I really just don't like driving in town: I don't like aggressive drivers or fighting for parking. Using my bike opens up a few routes I couldn't use in a car, hence a better ability to avoid the aggressive drivers.

Dealing with concerned coworkers and family: The funny thing was that when I owned a car, people expected me to drive it more - and tried to offer arguments about why I should drive rather than bike. Without a car, those arguments stop.

Increased creativity: Without a car, I think more carefully about numerous transportation backup plans that might work in different situations. When I was car-dependent, there was one plan: the car. So, actually, I'm more likely to get my transportation tasks accomplished without a car - if only because I'm more creative now!