Old 04-01-14, 08:01 AM
Joe Perez
Freewheelin'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
If we're still talking the original subject matter though, I don't see why the OP can't get himself a SA 3 speed with coaster brake hub for that rear wheel.. looking at the admiral it appears to be a 3 speed igh to me, and I might be wrong but isn't NYC fairly flat? Never did spend much time there, but that's what my memory is telling me. OP could replace his rear wheel with a SS coaster also.. those are some pretty cheap easy and waterproof braking options IMO.
I do appreciate on-topic input.

The Admiral / Wayfarer, as shipped, has a 7-speed cog set and a conventional derailleur on the rear. You're correct in that the island of Manhattan is quite flat (there are some elevation changes, but not much), and a three-speed hub would be entirely adequate. In fact, this is exactly what the CitiBikes have, and it's perfect for the terrain. So, yes, and internally geared 3-speed rear hub would be adequate, though spending money on buying a hub and then paying someone to build a wheel around it (that, I will admit, is outside of my expertise) wouldn't make sense as compared to just buying a slightly better bike in the first place.

Also, I'd prefer to avoid coaster brakes, quite frankly, as I find them unintuitive and difficult to modulate. And, of course, braking on the rear wheel just isn't a major concern as compared to the front, especially in poor weather.