Thread: Blind curves
View Single Post
Old 04-01-14, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
every situation is different. if this one is particularly difficult to navigate, can you eliminate it from your route? I used to have a tough one right before a railroad crossing. what I eventually started doing (which worked) was after I took the lane, when I heard a car behind me, I held up 1 finger indicating: "please wait just a minute" then after the blind curve and railroad crossing, well, they realized how stupid they would have been if they passed me, but anyway, I gave them a small wave as I moved right, indicating: "thank you very much". don't know how long your blind curve is, if it's long they might lose patience and pass anyway. if this is part of your commute then you can call the police dept for that area, explain what's happening at that curve and tell them what time. they might post a radar car there for a few days so that the regular drivers learn to slow down there. good luck!

also, if you can't "beat them" join them? meaning, instead of taking the lane, because that's not working, just stay right and let them pass. they are more likely to do a better job passing and getting back into lane if you stayed right. sometimes we just can't control their behavior, and our behavior (no matter how correct it is) encourages them to behave even more badly ... ;(

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-01-14 at 08:13 AM.