Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arcticbiker
Excellent accomplishment! Keep ridin' and enjoyin' life a day at a time. Nice ride. Can't tell from the pic if that's the Hendrix Purple or not.
Sometimes it's purple, sometimes green and occasionally, gold.

As an interesting aside, I heard a theory recently that athletes and other people who exercise regularly tend to have a higher tolerance to pain. That comes in handy when you're getting assaulted by chemo, surgery, radiation, etc. So, I have cycling to thank for my relatively high pain tolerance and tendency to ignore discomfort. After all, if we're not in it for the pain and discomfort, why would we do it in the first place? And, I thank cycling for teaching me that if you face adversity head-on (wind, cold, heat, hills, sore muscles, etc.), you'll reap the rewards (get stronger, get miles, get respect). So, I think cycling has been an important part of my ability to cope with having a deadly disease, while leading a worthwhile and fulfilling life--however long that turns out to be.

I certainly appreciate everyone's kind comments. My online cancer buddies are always impressed when I explain my mileage goals and totals. My message to them is, "Just because you have cancer doesn't mean you can't live a worthwhile life." My message to people on this board is, "Don't let some stupid disease (God forbid you ever get one) wreck your life."