Old 04-03-14, 11:16 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Lmuir
Thanks for your input. There is no hub play. I just had the hub rebuilt by a trusted mechanic with new bearings. It doesn't feel like there is really any play in the hub at all.

I have checked the brake, and it is really even from side to side. I have also been riding with it all the way open (lever can almost touch the bars when I brake all the way)

I think ​I have ruled out all of the obvious causes, but I'm not 100% sure, which is why I'm here.
There's always the possibility of wheel or frame flex. I don't know what spokes were used, but wheel flex isn't realted to tension, it's related to the sum of the cross sections of the spokes. So a wheel built with DB spokes will be more flexy than one built with heavier spokes.

If the flex always causes rubbing to the same side, you might try moving the brakes off center slightly.

BTW- I don't know how much or how often it rubs, but slight rub isn't a serious issue. Because there's little pressure holding the shoe to the rim, there's correspondingly little friction produced, so a bit of rub when sprinting won't matter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.