Old 04-03-14, 11:24 AM
Lmuir

Bikes: 2006 CAAD 8 (R5000), 2002 Bianchi Giro bad weather bike/ghetto TT setup, very ugly 2001 GT ZRX CX bike, bianchi Brava trainer slave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's always the possibility of wheel or frame flex. I don't know what spokes were used, but wheel flex isn't realted to tension, it's related to the sum of the cross sections of the spokes. So a wheel built with DB spokes will be more flexy than one built with heavier spokes.

If the flex always causes rubbing to the same side, you might try moving the brakes off center slightly.

BTW- I don't know how much or how often it rubs, but slight rub isn't a serious issue. Because there's little pressure holding the shoe to the rim, there's correspondingly little friction produced, so a bit of rub when sprinting won't matter.
Yeah, unfortunately I bought the wheel used (before having it rebuilt, trued, etc) and I don't know what the spokes are. They are round (not aero) and they look pretty thick, but I don't know really.

It seems like it rubs every time I hit ~1000w, so it will only be one or two times per race (or maybe none at all if I'm not in contention for any sprints/prims) I'm not really too worried about the .005 seconds I'm going to lose in a sprint, but having my bike functioning at 100% helps keep my mind clear and free of distractions. I guess this issue is really common, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, just trying to learn.

Thanks