Old 04-03-14, 11:34 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old Frame with New Parts

I really like how the old Schwinn Super Sports and Sports Tourer frames handle and the heavy tubing works great for loaded rides. This is the third or fourth version of a SS/ST framed bike. I like the look of the exposed brass filet joints and I wanted to cover the three main tubes with something unique and old fashion.

I started with a 26” Schwinn Sports Tourer frame, Opaque Blue. I purchased the frame and fork from a local bike COOP for $40. It was dentless but well scratched and rusted, it rode no-hands straight and true. Perfect candidate for my Ultimate City Bike. I stripped the paint, primed the three main tubes and decoupaged on some old labels I had lying around. Then some UV-resistant varnish to protect the entire frame/fork.

Cockpit with cellphone holder and extra blinky headlight for street riding. The brass bell matches the fillet lugs.

Old school Weinman Tourist Levers help the look. Misfit FU bars, 70's era Sanshine forged .833 stem, stock headset and Ergon grips let me steer this beast. Homemade head badge makes some sort of statement?

Sturmey-Archer 90mm front drum/dyno makes power for the battery-free system and provides braking under any weather conditions. I have the original chrome fork but this one looked better. It's off a Super Sport, same fork without chrome.

The new Phillips SafeRide 60 headlamp is the best generator powered headlamp I've ever used. It really lights up dark bike paths without any hot spots. I don't have to worry about charging batteries , just ride and enjoy. Worth every penny!

In order to make a clean look, I removed all the excess braze-ons with a torch and file. Here’s the cables at the bottom bracket.

No cable housing back to the rear Nexus 8 hub. A set of Tiagra cranks was perfect for the euro bottom bracket. Shimano 324 pedals work with clipless or regular flat shoes. I even hacked off the derailleur hanger. Wheels use 700C Mavic 319 rims, DT 2.0 spokes and Panaracer 32mm tires with Kevlar liner.

No housing for the rear roller brake, this takes all the mush out of the action. I love the heavy-duty Schwinn brazed on kickstand!

NOS Brooks B-72 bought new in ~1982, about time it got used! A Laprade post with dual rail adapter keeps everything in place. Original seat post clamp just looks right.

Here’s the Phillips LED taillight, it’s made to work with the headlight and has a standby function while standing still (when waiting at a traffic light). I have my smaller rack bag mounted, perfect for night rides to adult beverage dispensaries.

I bought the Topeak rack that allows panniers and the basket simultaneously.

Able to haul lots of groceries (or a pair of growlers)! SKS fenders keep me dry in any weather.

Thanks for looking in at my commuter.

Eric