Old 04-04-14, 10:39 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
No, that's not the point. The point is we shouldn't get so wrapped up in marketing BS that we actually believe that this year's newest gizmo or engineering marvel will actually make us better, stronger and faster. Then when new riders come on here and ask simple questions, we feed them a line about needing high-dollar equipment or else they will be seriously lacking.
An aero advantage of thin section tube shapes is an immutable fact. There is no denying it. Just like denying that a Ferrari has a lower drag coef than a school bus. (extreme example)
So what is comes down to is...what does it mean to 'you'. You have repeatedly stated...not much. I will tell you I don't fit the demographic either really because I don't ride that aero to begin with. I may benefit slightly in the few times I am riding solo about 23-24mph. So I am not running out to buy such a bike either. That said, I believe there is an advantage for a serious racer. If you are racing against the clock then why not ride the most slippery bike since air drag is such a big deal to speed? It even trickles down to Pcad who loves his Foil. He says its the fastest bike he has owned and he maybe right. As it turns out...for some, nth degree aerodynamics isn't the be all. Most of us care about it...but some prefer say a more compliant ride or a more upright riding position and will choose a different bike. Or some may prize a super lightweight bike even though I am not in that camp either. But your dismissal of aero bikes as Walter Mitty marketing hype is wrong in the sense that such a bike isn't maybe appropriate for you....or even me...but I believe for others with the right body and desire to compete...it maybe the best bike.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-04-14 at 10:46 AM.