Old 04-04-14, 12:41 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I asked because I noticed Battenkill pre-reg was down 20% from last year (2300 vs 2900). Probably multiple factors, including a price increase in that case.

There may be declining participation in general, but I think weather has to be a huge factor. I think 2012 was the no-winter year you are thinking of, I remember 80F days in March. Everybody wanted to be out on their bikes that spring, and only crazy people want to be out on their bikes this spring.
i'm not certain this is it. last year there was a mad rush to pre-reg and many fields were sold out instantly. (i know as i wanted to make sure i got in.) this year i took a casual look a few days after reg opened and saw so many fields with barely any entrants.

pre-reg opened back in november, no? people could not have known how the winter would play out at that point. if one waited until march to register, last year or in years prior they would have been shut out (most fields).

i feel like when battenkill lost (or abandoned) the UCI element of the race, the race lost much of its mystique -- at least speaking for riders i know who are not local to it.

i decided not to attend battenkill for a few reasons. i realize that i'm the exception (flying in), but the idea that they could postpone it a month just doesn't make sense for one who must book plane tickets.

i pre-reg only as far in advance as required. no doubt it helps the promoter, but i figure they set their early discounts and late penalties in a way that makes sense. i find that for most events (other than the rare few that sell out months in advance), the $10 penalty for late registration is worth it. there are many events out here in the spring where weather is really iffy. few promoters offer any refunds, so those who pre-register take on much of that risk.