Old 04-04-14, 06:14 PM
DanAVL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
You said you're riding in flats, does that mean non-cycling shoes? If so, that would be the first equipment-related upgrade I'd make. Cheap road shoes and Shimano SPD-SL pedals.
Indeed sir! I've been scoping the local bike shops for some used SPD's but to no avail. I think I'm just going to have to bite it and get some new ones. We have a several bike shops here so I'll just start calling around.

Originally Posted by carleton
For the flying efforts 500M and longer, It may be easier for you to use a speedometer and watch your speed real-time and pace off of that instead of looking at splits which only give you info after the fact. Let's say during your first effort you hover around 32MPH. Maybe the next effort see if you can push it to 33MPH, etc...

This is a question about Programming which can be a big hairy can of worms. But to try to answer, I'd suggest trying to increase your target speeds (using the technique mentioned above) for each effort, even if that means more recovery, which might mean cutting out the last planned effort of the day. Maybe recover based on perceived heart rate. Basically, when your heart rate returns to somewhat normal, it's time to go again.

In my opinion, sprint training rewards high quality intense efforts over volume. But, that's up for debate. Some like lots of volume which overloads the muscles which creates super-compensation later. I guess everybody is right. It's really difficult to discuss programming in this context because there are so many programs out there, many of the work, and everybody thinks theirs is the best
I forget the name of it off the top of my head but I planned on buying the bike computer you recommended in another thread. Have it all bookmarked away and everything. I believe it's 64.00$?? That one has a speedometer function correct?? Will try to get this asap. It'll be really neat to actually see MPH. I'm sure I'll feel like Im flying and the readout will show a steady 25mph. Hah!

The last part is true is in every sport I've interacted with. It's always funny when someone claims that here is "one right way" to do any type of training. Sure there are common traits across all successful programs but if there were one way, everyone would be doing it. There's always huge training variation amongst most podiums. It seems to be about finding what works for you.