Old 04-05-14, 01:41 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I got a 2013 from Carbon Connection online order last Nov. I'm not a good reviewer, as it replaced a 20+ year steel Paramount OS so I don't really have much comparable experience, I liked my Paramount, and I like the Ergoride. The biggest problem I had was figuring the size, sight unseen. For 2012 and 2013 at least, their geometry for what they called XXL or 60cm was more like what other brands call a 58, but I was concerned the bike would be "too big" (I'm 6'1"), even though I closely measured the stack and reach on my current bikes and also Roubaix, Synapse, Defy, and Domane and the 60 ergo was approx the same as what I was riding and also the 58's from the other guys. So I went with the XXL/60 in the end. What I didn't check and now wish I had, is the Ergo was built up with 175 cranks, 125 stem, and 44 bar, which is bigger than what I had been running (172.5,110,42). I can tell it's bigger, but I haven't played with my fit at all (I'm thinking of buying one of those specialized fits just to see what someone else thinks).

It's a PF30 BB. I don't know if that is really good or bad, seems like many opinions out there. My build came with unknown (OEM I assume) stem and seat post (at least Google reveals nothing) and Fulcrum "4.5" wheels (again OEM). From comparing with Fulcrum web site, they appear the same as Fulcrum 5 (at least the hub seems the same). Prologo Scratch TR saddle, I've always been on Selle Italia in the past but this one didn't seem significantly different, though the cover is more "sticky". 3T Ergonova bar which I'm finding I like. Conti Grand Prix 24 tires. I haven't actually measured them, but I have an almost new set of Conti GP 4000 25's I can put on. I'm not sure if 28s would fit or not (guessing they would), I could measure if needed.

Partly I was looking for SRAM, and my build was with 20 spd Force with compact crank/11-32 wifli RD. I have about 1000 mi on the bike so far no issues whatsoever.

I see for 2014 they have changed the geometry on the Ergo so it more closely matches up with the competition (I would go with the 58 on a 2014).

So bottom line I'm happy, but may not be the most demanding customer.

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 04-05-14 at 01:52 AM.