View Single Post
Old 04-07-14, 08:16 AM
wasabimaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Allow me to proffer a contrarian but I think somewhat more objective :-)
opinion.

You should definitely not get a folding bike.

People often think they should get folders because they're lighter. But they're not. Folders are generally significantly heavier than equivalently priced "regular" bikes. The reason is simple: much of the cost of a folder is in the folding design, so when you buy an $800 folding bike you're really buying a $400 level bike with $400 of folding technology built into it. Whereas you could have spent that extra $400 paying for lighter weight.

And you may think that more compact is easier to lift, but it isn't. It's less easily balanced when you carry it, and makes a thick and unwieldy package. I have found carrying my folder up stairs folded is quite a bit harder than carrying it unfolded.

What you need is a small sport hybrid like the Trek FX series, which starts at about $500. For example a Trek 7.3 FX costs about the same as a cheap Dahon ($659) and at your size weighs only 22 pounds. And that's considered *heavy* in the sport hybrid world. In comparison, a Dahon Mu P8 ($749) weighs 27 pounds and is considered medium to light in the folding world. And the Mu rides far worse than the FX 7.3, without any doubt.

Folding bikes are good for many things. But your needs are not one of them. Get a lightweight regular bike.
I agree about the cost of a folding bike vs non folding and i know that non folding bicycles are are as comfortable as they get. But for me purchasing a non folder means I cannot take the train (legally i can, but i wont drag my full scale bike into one). Weight does not really bother me as long as its between 20-35lb then its OK. I had non folding bicycles throughout my life but where I can go is limited, for example, if i want to travel somewhere 15-20 miles away, i don't want to ride back and will probably take the transit back.