View Single Post
Old 04-07-14, 10:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Here's my take on running, and I'm a bit of living proof.

MOST people who take to running get to run for about 20 years. If you start when you are 20, you'll stop by the time you're in your 40's. If you don't start till you are 50, and can run at that age, you'll get maybe 20 years, probably less.

As I said, that is my take, but I think it's pretty much true. On the other hand, my HS track coach is in his late 70's and still running marathons.
Sigrid Eichner would be an exception for sure. At 73 with over 1,000 marathons she is one awesome individual. IIRC, the sign on her back during this year's Inaugural Celebration Marathon had 1,163rd marathon.

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I've started seriously running at age 61, running 5K pretty much every morning. Glad to hear I'm good 'til 81.

From what I've experienced and observed, I'm thinking a great many people run badly; they beat the crap out of themselves in the process or simply fail to get/keep themselves in running shape. That's going to lead to unintended consequences over the long run [pun intended].
For sure, a great many people do not know how to run and many run beyond their body's safe ability. Too many oldsters trying to recapture their youth and too many thinking they can go fast without proper base.

At 59.5, my first walking 5K was January 2010. With a base from bicycling I was able to improve my walking pace but was unable to jog or run due to knee issues. Here I am, 4 years-3 months later, and I still can not comfortably jog a complete half marathon but it's getting better. This Sunday's 70.3 will find me walking my 10:45mpm/12:00mpm pace and when feeling good my 9:00mpm/10:30mpm jog. I'm pretty sure many individuals without a base such as mine would be running for greater distances than I jog and possibly resulting in all sorts of injuries.

Proper training, form and nutrition will add years to the body's ability to exercise. To avoid complications, the brain must constantly be in touch with the feedback from the body and accurately process that information.