Old 04-10-14, 11:30 AM
daytoncapri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! You have caught my attention

Originally Posted by dwmckee
We rode as a family trip (not on the tour, but same route). I find this far better than the GAP and C&O. Have considered the group trip but for 8 of us it was expensive so we did it ourselves instead to save $$. Very enloyable and lots more places to stop than the C&O & GAP.
Wow! You have caught my attention. I'd really like some advice.

I did GAP/ C&O three years ago, and enjoyed it - bumps and all. Now I am searching for another great route for summer 2014. I would park the car somewhere along the trail for a solo / self-supported / return trip. My goal for 2014 is 850 miles, so I will probably need to a bit of drive-park-ride and then drive again to hit that number. I will probably include other trails in the process.

My big trepidation is that one-quarter of the ECT is "on-road". My normal practice is to take dedicated paths (like C&O / GAP, KATY, trails in WV, etc) and completely avoid road traffic.

As I live in Ohio, I would be approaching from the West; The trail looks more fragmented the further east one goes. How trafficky is this route when it's not off-road?

Research so far on ECT: the Traillink site, PTNY's book "Cycling the Erie Canal Trail."

any advice appreciated.

Daytoncapri