Old 04-10-14, 12:51 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Electronic devices are here to stay, no laws or restrictions are going to change that. It's a cycling issue because cyclists are using them too.

When I purchased my new gloves, the first feature the salesman pointed out were the touch screen pads built into the the fingers, and they had a good selection of smartphone mounts. In fact, all the LBS's sell mounts, even the hardware store has a bike section and sells mounts.

I see cyclists using devices, a few weeks ago a saw a cyclist riding with no hands on the bars, ear buds plugged in, texting merrily away. Joggers and pedestrians are doing it too, I had a jogger U-turn into me a few weeks ago, even saw a woman jogging with a stroller that had a Kindle mounted on it. And yes, I've had to avoid cyclists in an electronic haze too.

I can't do anything about what others do, but I stay vigilant.
Whenever I approach a pedestrian, jogger or cyclist, I look for ear buds or hands up and head down. For motorists, I scan for a hand up or eyes down, and the other tell tale signs. It's not fool proof, you cant see it all, but the badly distracted ones are fairly easy to spot.

I have very few issues while riding or driving on the road, its mostly electronically insulated joggers, walkers, and cyclists on MUT's. I ride with my lights on, always announce a pass with my bell, and have an old, loud, Klaxon horn for the truely unaware.