View Single Post
Old 04-10-14, 02:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I would think that oxygen is going to be an issue as well. Can you get any riding in at elevations @10K' Leadville will leaving you begging for another breath! I love the mountains, but there is a two fold meaning to breathless!
No doubt that's an issue. Living in Florida, and not having the time to spend a couple of weeks in Colorado before the race, I'm just going to have to accept the fact that my power will be down a bit.

I've got a pretty good idea how I do at elevation from past rides. I did the entire US Pro Cycling Challenge course in 2012, which included a stage from Aspen over Independence Pass, through Leadville, to Beaver Creek. High point of Leadville is just a bit higher.

So no doubt, the elevation makes it harder, but I kinda know what I'm in for from that aspect. The data suggests that a non acclimitized rider can produce at 12,000 feet about 75% of the power they can at sea level. (acclimitization closes that gap a little but its still abig drop off). So I need to get 25% stronger (not likely) or be 25% slower (more likely).

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/09...rformance.html
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-10-14 at 02:12 PM.